Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Carrot Soup


You'll quickly see that I'm a big fan of tricking my palette. I haven't eaten potatoes for about two and a half years...so I've learned to find which foods satisfy that starchy thick craving. Meet cauliflower.

This is actually my first time really following a recipe's directions (almost) fully. I figured if I wanted to relay over the recipe, I should follow one. I've been cooking for years...but for whatever reason, I was always scared to make soup. Till last month that is...when Israel got the dreaded news...we were getting snow. I figured with the lack of insulated housing, it was time to learn. It's really the easiest thing in the world- you throw whatever you want into a pot and then call it soup. And if you want to get really fancy, you can blend it and call it puréed. I know. So fancy that the "e" even gets its own little crown on top.


This recipe is inspired by Hungry Healthy Girl's Roasted Cauliflower and Carrot Soup.

Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Soup Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: I can eat the whole pot but for normal people probably 10 servings

Ingredients

1 large head cauliflower
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
1 leek, diced or sliced
1 large onion, diced or sliced
5 medium carrots
1 cube frozen crushed garlic (=1 clove crushed fresh garlic)
1 cube frozen dill
3 cups water
1 cup light coconut liquid (almond milk/any milk or additional water will also work)
1 dash of turmeric
Almonds for garnish


Instructions

  • Pour 1/2 cup water in a dish big enough to hold the cauliflower head and place it in the dish. Roast for about an hour at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
  • Meanwhile, while your cauliflower is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Slow cook the onions and leeks in olive oil for about 15 minutes and until soft.
  • Add chunks of roasted cauliflower, sliced carrots, garlic, dill and 3 cups of water to the cooked onions. Allow this mixture to cook for 25 minutes.
  • Add coconut liquid and stir to combine.
  • Transfer this mixture to a blender/food processor. I used a regular blender and then pureed extra chunks with an immersion blender.  Puree until soup is smooth.
  • Transfer soup back to the pot and bring soup to a simmer to warm.
  • Add some almonds for garnish (thanks to my great housewife pal Lea for that one)
  • Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment